Wednesday, July 6, 2011

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 11

Day 11: Favorite Book from a Foreign Country


Well, looky here. We have another obvious selection!
    I'm just going to say it here: I love British authors. Almost all of my favorite books come from British authors. J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Dickens, Mary Shelley ... the list goes on and on.
    A lot of my favorite musicians are British as well, and some British schools are legendary (Oxford, Cambridge and the like). This leads me to conclude that there must be something magical about Great Britain.
    I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about why I love this trilogy. I already elaborated on Day 1 of this challenge.
    In fairness, I probably should have selected something different. But I would have felt terrible if I had picked something different. These are my favorite books of all time; they just happen to not be from my native country. If I was British, I would pick something American - To Kill a Mockingbird, maybe, or something by Mark Twain. But I am American, so I am picking something British. So sue me.
    I will end this by saying something related to J.R.R. Tolkien. A trip to Oxford is on my bucket list. For one thing, I'd just love to go to the Oxford University campus and maybe see a classroom in which Tolkien taught. I have also heard that Tolkien and C.S. Lewis used to go a pub in Oxford on a regular basis, although I do not remember the pub's name. I'd go to that pub just to be there. And, of course, I would visit Tolkien's grave, which is also in Oxford.
    I will REALLY end this by giving you your fun fact of the day. Tolkien, who died in 1973, was buried with his wife Edith, who died in 1971. Their graves are marked Beren and Lúthien, who are both characters of Tolkien's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment