Thursday, June 30, 2011

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 5

I'd like to give a shout-out to Marton Csokas, whom you better know as Celeborn. I do not know him personally, but he turns forty-five today. Happy birthday, sir.
    Back to business.

Day 05: First "Dirty" Book You Read


To be honest, I haven't really read any "dirty" books if by "dirty" you mean something really sexual.
    Why did I put this book, then? I consider this book "dirty" because there is so much language; in fact, The Catcher in the Rye probably contains the most profane language of any book I've read. And that is not a compliment.
    I hated this book. Hated, hated, hated it. I still do. There are only two good things I can say about it. One, it ends. Two, the first sentence rips on Dickens' David Copperfield, which I tried to read but found unbelievably dull.
    Where can I start? How can I begin to express how much I despise Holden Caulfield? I get it; he's in a tough situation. Does he have to bitch and mope about it in every sentence? No.
    I'm not sure whether to be offended or amused by his extremely limited vocabulary. I didn't bother keeping track of the number of times he said "G*dd*mn," "phony," or "sonuvab*tch," but I wish I had. It would probably have made for a great drinking game or something; you take a shot every time he says "phony." You could even take a shot every time he says "f*** you." He doesn't use that until the end, but he probably says it five or six times on one page.
    Beyond that, he manages to tear apart pretty much every aspect of his life, and he does so quite brutally. His brother's a phony because he works in Hollywood, and Hollywood, according to Mr. Caulfield, is full of nothing but phonies. He doesn't like his parents and can barely tolerate his sister. He hates his roommate at his boarding school. He hates all his classmates. He's not exactly respectful to females, but he's not quite rude to them either.
    Also, he rips on religion, particularly the Catholic Church. He says that he means no disrespect to religion, but I find that very hard to believe. This may just be because I take my faith very seriously, but I took more offense at his remarks on the Catholic Church than anything else.
    Caulfield kept talking about his occasional suicidal thoughts. The silliest things made him want to kill himself. I very quickly thought, "Please do. You'd be doing us all a favor."
    By this point you're probably wondering why I even finished the book. I finished it because it was part of a summer reading assignment for AP English. I ended up having to switch to Dual Enrollment English because of a schedule conflict, but I learned about said conflict well after I finished The Catcher in the Rye. So I read that stupid piece-of-crap book for nothing.
    I know plenty of people who consider The Catcher in the Rye one of their favorite books. I am very sorry if my rant angered you. I respect that you like the book, but it just does not appeal to me.
    Now that my rant's over ... The Catcher in the Rye was the first "dirty" book I read. In addition to generous use of bad language, there are a couple of sexual references. (For example, Caulfield mentions a friend who has made love to many a young lady.) However, I am never reading this book again. NEVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment